Event Funding Support
A number of funding programs are available to support events being held in the Cairns and Great Barrier Reef Region. Details and criteria are outlined below.
Destination Funding Support
As part of the regional tourism recovery, the Cairns Regional Council is providing funding support for events held in Cairns before June 2027 that attract over 250 delegates. Event organisers can apply for funding of up to $100 per delegate to a maximum of $100,000.
What events are eligible?
- The official event program must be a minimum of 3 days and attract a minimum of 250 delegates
- Events can be national or international and not receiving funding from any other government (local, state or national) programs
- Events to be held prior to June 2027
- 80% of delegate attendance must be from outside of the Cairns, Cassowary Coast, Douglas, Mareeba and Tablelands Local Government Authorities
- Funds must be spent with local suppliers
- Event funding is capped at $100,000 and allocated as follows:
- June – September – $50 per person or:
- October – May – $100 per person
Cairns Convention Centre Funding Support
As part of the Tourism Industry Reference Panel’s Interim Action Plan, the Queensland Government has launched a $7 million program dedicated to attracting business events to the state. Events held at the Cairns Convention Centre can apply for funding support through this program.
Events can apply for financial assistance of $100 per registered full program delegate for maximum of 1,000 delegates with the opportunity for events to increase this to $120 per registered full program delegate if they do a multi-year deal.
What events are eligible?
- The event must be a national association or corporate event with evidence of historical attendance data
- The event must be a minimum of 3 days and held before March 2025
- The event organiser must be considering destinations outside of Queensland (evidence will be required)
- The event must attract “in person” delegates as follows (virtual attendees are not included):
- Minimum of 350 registered delegated each day
- Maximum number of delegates to receive incentives per event is 1,000
- A minimum of 50% of delegates must be from outside of Queensland
- The event must be contracted within 60 days of receiving the Letter Offer from the Cairns Convention Centre
More details on the program and eligibility can be found HERE.
State and Federal funding programs
Tourism and Events Queensland and Tourism Australia both offer funding for eligible events held in our region. More information can be found at the following links below.
Tourism and Event Queensland funding program